(1) Download emacs-21.3.zip for MS Windows (21M) to your
It is available on campus (fast download) at colton.byuh.edu.
It is available off campus (latest version) at gnu.org.
(2) Open the zip file. Inside you will find a folder named emacs-21.3.
(3) Open your "My Computer" and go to the C: drive.
(4) Copy the entire folder emacs-21.3 (2 above) to the C: drive (3 above). You have now installed EMACS.
(5) Cleanup: Close your "My Computer C: drive". Throw away the emacs-21.3.zip file.
(2) Right-click on your new file and select "open with >> browse"
(3) Browse to "c:\emacs-21.3\bin\emacs.exe"
(4) Select "Always use the selected program ..."
(5) Click on "okay"
You're done. From now on, whenever you double-click a .txt file, it will open in Emacs.